Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Steve Agee 1.7.2009

Steve Agee is one of the funniest people in the world. He kills it every week on The Sarah Silverman Program (as well as tons of comedy shorts circulating the web). Please welcome the STELLAR, the MAGNIFICENT... STEVE AGEE!

Steve Agee








Hank Sugarman's 2nd Video Blog




STEVE AGEE – 1.07.09 by Ron Solomon

PV: Well good evening, Steve and thanks for becoming a part of the POPVIEWS family! You recently wrapped season 2 of The Sarah Silverman Program, what have you been up to during your hiatus?

SA: I've just been doing some stand up, some writing and working on some internet stuff for Comedy Central/Atom Films.....


PV: Had you known a lot of the cast prior to joining the show?


SA: I knew everyone in the cast except for Jay Johnston. It was a huge relief to finally meet him and find out that he wasn't a jerk

PV: A lot of the Sarah Silverman Program cast are "Mr.Show" alumni, do you think we'll ever see a cameo from Bob Odenkirk and David Cross?

SA: Bob has actually made a cameo, briefly, in the episode where Sarah has her maid deported. He had a bizarre British accent, so it was probably hard to recognize him (ha ha). As for David,I'm sure everyone would love for him to show up and do something. It's a little bit harder because he lives in NY and we shoot in Los Angeles. Oh, and also we have to wait and see if we get picked up for another season. If we don't, I have a feeling it'll be really hard to get him on the show.


PV: You're a musician, what instruments do you play?

SA: Bass guitar is my main instrument. I actually moved to Los Angeles because I wanted to be a professional musician/rock star. I was going to school at the Musician's Institute in Hollywood and playing around town with my band, The Grazers. One thing led to another and some how I ended up in acting/comedy


PV: I saw somewhere that you play shows with Mary Birdsong (of Reno 911) as the band 99 CENT WHORE, any plans to record a cd or play shows out of the L.A. area?


SA: I'm sure there will be some shows in the future. After we got things going, Mary went to NY to do Hairspray and then I started shooting the second half of Sarah's show, so things got put on the back burner. That's the biggest problem with being in a band with other actors. As soon as someone gets a gig then everything gets thrown out of whack.


PV: Any other bands/music side projects you are in, that you could fill us in on?


SA: Well for a very VERY short time (I mean like a week) I was playing bass with a band called Smith & Pyle. That band is made up of my friends Missi Pyle and Shawnee Smith both actresses with incredible music talent (Missi you'd recognize from movies like Galaxy Quest,Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Dodgeball, and a million other films, and Shawnee you'd know from the Saw movies, Becker and one of my favorites - The Blob!). You should check them out on iTunes


PV: (this question is a parody of Inside The Actors Studios) Steve, please give us a bit of Hank Sugarman... Hello? Hank Sugarman, Are you there?


SA: Uh, I'm OK. My ass kinda itches and my wife won't die


PV: Hank, who are your BIGGEST inspirations/influences?

SA: John Wayne and Bing Crosby

PV: Have any "Around the House" tips for hiding boners, Hank?

SA: Marry my wife...it's a problem you won't have to deal with ever again

PV: Ok Steve, you mentioned once that you lived with a member of the comedy troupe The State, ever get stoned and fall asleep in their bed on accident?

SA: That would be Ken Marino, and I actually still live with him and his wife, Erica in their guest house. I don't do drugs because they're against the law. Ken does though. He grows his own heroin and sells it to Joe Lo Truglio

PV: Speaking of The State, you caught the reunion in L.A.with 9 original members, will you be in my town to catch all 11 members for the REAL reunion at SF Sketchfest this month?

SA: I'm going to try and drive up just for that show. The LA shows were amazing and I'm sure the shows in San Francisco will be just as good, if not better

PV: If so, want me to bring some delicious pot cookies or rice krispy treats?

SA: I can't do edibles. I had a bad experience ten years ago when I ate about 8 cookies without knowing there was pot in them. It was the worst experience of my life. Oh, and also, I don't do drugs because they're against the law. By the way, I keep saying "against the law" because I don't know how to spell illegal (that was just spell checked)

PV: What music has been frequenting your iPod as of late?

SA: Lately I've been listening to a lot of Bowie. He's one of my favorites. I've also been listening to the New York Dolls, Velvet Underground, Hank Williams, Fu Manchu and the new Eagles of Death Metal album.

PV: What are your top 3 concerts that you have ever attended?

SA: Oh my god, that's really hard to pick just three. I'd say Jane's Addiction in 1989, Guns n Roses (also 1989) and probably Nirvana with Pearl Jam in 1991 (maybe it was 90)

PV: Andrea Rosen (from STELLA and Variety Shac) is on the 1st (season 2) episode of Flight of the Conchords, you did a music video for "Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros", are you going to make an appearance on that show in season 2?

SA: Oh my god, I wish! FOTC is one of my favorite shows. I'm excited for the new season, but sadly will not be on it

PV: Who would win in a fight, you or Brian Posehn?

SA: We'd probably both die of heart attacks before a winner could be determined.

PV: If you and Bill Murray hung out, what would you guys most likely talk about?

SA: It would probably be a lot of me asking him about stuff that happened on the set of Meatballs and Stripes and a lot of him asking me who the fuck I was.

PV: I heard that you and Matt Berry (The Mighty Boosh, The IT crowd, Snuff Box) were going to collaborate on some things, aside from the last episode you guys did of TSSP, care to let us in on it/them?

SA: We're working on a web series right now for atomfilms.com (Comedy Central's website). It's musical and it's basically me writing horrible songs about him and him writing horrible songs about me. Kind of a musical feud.

PV: Matt Berry is going to be on POPVIEWS as well, any message you'd like me to pass along?

SA: Tell him that Denny's called and they really miss his business (he ate there for almost every meal when he was here in LA. No joke)

PV: You post a lot of iChat pictures on your myspace, how much cyber sex do you have on a daily basis?

SA: Zero, dude! I can't have cyber sex with the help of a web cam because even though you're looking at the other person,there's a small window with your image looking right back at you. Picture in picture sex doesn't work for me when I'm in one of the pictures. Maybe I'll look into Skype.

PV: Well thanks so much for taking the time to hang out with us, Steve. You're a comic genius, a stellar photographer, brilliant comedy short maker, and I've never heard you play music so I simply don't know if you're any good at it... We'll stay tuned to steveagee.com for updates on your performances, appearences, and things you may be selling!

SA: Thank you, sir! I've had fun and now I'm going to go eat a donut.....


(it's ok to leave comments on this interview blog, but any rude, offensive, or otherwise dickhead-ish comments will be deleted)

No comments:

Post a Comment