Wednesday, December 9, 2009

David Wain 1.4.2009

David Wain was a member of the comedy troupe THE STATE, which ran on MTV from '93 - '95. His next venture was to join Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter (fellow STATE alums) to form STELLA, a 3 man comedy show with suits. Since then he has gone on to direct such films as Wet Hot American Summer, The Ten, and the smash hit: Role Models. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you... DAVID WAIN!


David Wain










Wainy Days - Episode 1/Season 1




DAVID WAIN – 1.04.09 by Ron Solomon



PV: First off, David, allow me to say what a true honor it is to have you join the POPVIEWS family!

DW: Oy these are a lot of questions (I'm reading ahead!)

PV: You've made some amazing films in the past 8 years, do you get stressed a lot during the film making process or do you try to keep it light on set?

DW: I try to keep it as light as possible but of course it can be very stressful! There is always lots of money being spent. But I try to keep it fun.No reason not to and tends to show up on screen.

PV: You recently toured with your comedy troupe STELLA, how do you feel that the shows were received?

DW: Great response - couldn't have asked for nicer audiences.

PV: Which do you prefer, film making or live comedy shows?

DW: I love that I get to go back and forth - it's a wonderful balance and perspective-giver.

PV: I live in San Francisco, did you happen to catch the film "Milk?"

DW: I'm dying to but haven't yet.

PV: Have you ever showered with any other members of The State?

DW: Yes.

PV: What bands/artists have you been listening to as of late?

DW: Ex-lovers, Dinosaur Pileup, Awesome Wells, Indica Ritual, Seedy Seeds,PixelH8, Envelopes, Picture Books in Winter

PV: Peter Salett joined the POPVIEWS family in 2001 and will be back for an interview in the newly launched 2009 version, how did you begin working with him?

DW: I met him at Brown University in 1990 and when he graduated he moved to NewYork and started playing live shows regularly and I became a huge fan (and friend).I think the first time we collaborated on a project was Wet Hot American Summer.

PV: Is it true that Peter's hair nests a family of birds?

DW: No.

PV: Do you miss doing STELLA the tv series?

DW: I miss many aspects about it - it was very fun and I loved the show, and thought we had a lot of great directions we could have taken it. On the other hand, it was a brutally hot summer in Brooklyn and we were shooting either outside in the sun or inside in very hot locations or our sound stage where the A/C was broken. And we were insanely overworked -- writing, acting, editing,directing, casting, etc all at the same time on a very fast schedule.

PV: Let's talk about THE STATE, my favorite comedy troupe of all time. You guys are reuniting in SF (thank you for the city choice) for Sketchfest this month.This will be the first reunion of all 11 members in 10 years! Have you guys begun writing and working on the material yet?

DW: Yes we have most of it ready -- we did a version of this show in L.A. in March but we did not have the whole group.

PV: Are there plans for more STATE shows in the near future?

DW: TBD

PV: This is more of a statement than a question but: Congrats on becoming a father recently!

DW: Thanks!

PV: How often do you google yourself?

DW: Depends. For example if I'm writing something on my computer, I tend to google myself when I get to the end of each sentence, unless it's a really long sentence.

PV: How do you feel your film ROLE MODELS was received compared to your other films?

DW: Better than I could have every expected -- most audiences and critics seem to have gotten from the film what I was hoping to make: a familiar hollywood comedy story infused with a different sensibility.

PV: Well I'll be in attendance for the STATE reunion in San Francisco this month, and I know you are a busy man, so I'll let you get going, but thank you so much for chatting with us today! Give Black and Show our love!

DW: Will do!

Well thanks so much for spending time with us today, David. We'll stay tuned to davidwain.com for more info on all your future releases/shows!

(it's ok to post comments on the interview blog, but any rude, offensive, or otherwise dickhead-ish comments will be deleted)

No comments:

Post a Comment