Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Ron Sexsmith 1.4.2009

Ron Sexsmith is an amazing songwriter. He was on the 2001 version of =POPVIEWS= and I was elated when he agreed to be a part of the 2009 relaunch! Without further ado, I give you... RON SEXSMITH!

Ron Sexsmith








This is How I know (Live)


RON SEXSMITH – 1.04.09 - by Ron Solomon

PV: Ron, Thanks so much being part of the relaunch of POPVIEWS! You were one of the original interviews back in 2001, You were promoting "Blue Boy", how have the last 8years treated you?

RS: Um..well it's been a productive time... I've released I think 5 or 6 albums since "Blue Boy"
and so there's been a lot of touring as well.

PV: You've done many tours, I caught up with you at Cafe Du Nord in SF a while back, do you ever get to catch other artists shows? If so, which ones stand out to you?

RS: It doesn't happen much when I'm on the road, but whenI'm home I try to catch a few shows. Saw Tift Merrit in London recently.


PV: Speaking of which, we wouldn't be POPVIEWS if we didn't ask what has been frequenting your iPod as of late?

RS: I don't own an ipod actually but my favorite cd this year has been Ry Cooders new one "I Flathead"



PV: Your new song "This is how I know" really speaks to me on a spiritual level, how did this song come about?

RS: I wrote it on the piano..I was writing about all the things that remind me that we're not alone.



PV: The song definitely transcends the limits of what most songs can be, has it become an anthem for you, as it has for me?


RS: It means a lot to me, I wouldn't call it an anthem necessarily but I enjoy singing it, It's a hopeful song.



PV: I saw Elvis Costello's performance recently on "A Colbert Christmas", do you ever get to see that guy?


RS: I haven't seen him in a few years but we email each other sometimes.



PV: You're from Toronto, as a Canadian, are you as psyched about our President Elect as I am?


RS: Yea, I think we're all pretty excited up here, I don't envy him though.



PV: If the world could reach a peaceful status, what changes do you think we'd need to implement immediately?

RS: I think there needs to be more dialogue in general and more acceptance of opinions that run counter to our own. More understanding too



PV: You're 44 (I believe), how the hell do you still look like you're in your20's?!?



RS: I think I've aged a great deal but thank you..I don't really do anything special..I have always had trouble with my weight though and I am currently trying to get to the bottom of that



PV: Wikipedia states that your girlfriend's name is Colleen, who is Brandy Alexander?


RS: Brandy Alexander is the name of my favorite cocktail



PV: Your song "God Loves Everyone" speaks to me more than most of the gospel songs I heard growing up as a pastors' kid. Are you a religious man?


RS: Not really, I was as a kid...... but I'm more of a God conscious person
I believe in free will and forward thinking



PV: You do collaborations with other artists (Chris Martin, Ane Brun), do you have any upcoming collaborations you can tell us about?


RS: I've been co-writing with different people, but not for my own record but in hopes to get some covers


PV: Who'd be your dream collaboration?

RS: I'd like to write with Feist again....I love the Fleet Foxes, Beth Orton



PV: speaking of which, Ane Brun is going to be on POPVIEWS, can I relay any message for you?


RS: Give her my love



PV: Is Jools Holland as cool in person as he seems?


RS: Yes, we're both big fans of Charlie Rich, he's a good man



PV: What are the top 5 things that you're passionate about?


RS: Music, coffee, walking, breakfast, movies (and Colleen)



PV: What bands/artists would you like to see sent into space and never returned?


RS: Yikes...I wouldn't wish that on anybody but there are A LOT of bands/artists that I do wish would just go away or at least I wish I could avoid them. I think bad music,especially when it's real popular is like a crime against humanity.


PV: Seen any good films lately?



RS: Yes...."Man On Wire" is a beautiful documentary about Philippe Petit who walked between the WTC. I loved "Ghost Town" with Ricky Gervais too.



PV: When was the last time you laughed until you cried?


RS: During "Tropic Thunder"



PV: Do you think there will be record labels in 5 years time?


RS: Good question, I think they'll exist in some form



PV: What are some things you can always count on to inspire you?


RS: People, the seasons, moods



PV: What would your dream concert (to play) be, who would share the bill?

RS: Anywhere with Ana Egge..she's one of my favorite songwriters out there



PV: Bill Shakespeare, any good?

RS: Yes, but I prefer Dickens



PV: When Ron Sexsmith is no more, what would you like your legacy to be?


RS: A few good songs, I don't really care if I'm remembered or not



PV: Any famous last words?

RS: If I ever become famous I'll let you know


PV: Thanks so much for spending time with us, Ron. You're the genuine article,and we'll have to have some Guinness next time you're in San Francisco!

RS: Okey doke

Please check ronsexsmith.com for all info on Ron's upcoming releases/concerts!


(it's ok to post comments on this interview blog, but any rude, offensive, or otherwise dickhead-ish comments will be deleted)

No comments:

Post a Comment