Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Peter Daily 1.11.09

Peter Daily is one of Hollywood's best kept secret. He tours a lot and brings brilliant pop music to the masses. His music creeps into your soul just like Van Morrison and Otis Redding's music used to. This is someone you're GOING TO WANT to look into. I am proud to call him my friend, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN... PETER DAILY!

Peter Daily








Discussing his latest EP "9th Street Sessions"




PETER DAILY 1.11.09 - by Ron Solomon


PV: Hey Peter, thanks so much for having this mafia-style sit down
with POPVIEWS tonight!

PD:

No problem, any time.


PV: So we've just entered a new year, 2009, what does this mean for
you personally and professionally?

PD:

Well, means a few things. I have a new EP coming out in either March or April.
Working on a full length for 2010. Looks like lots of business ahead.


PV: How did you get started in music and when did you start writing
your own stuff?

PD:

I got started in music at a very early age. Age 4 to be exact.
Both my father and mother were singers so the gravitational pull was just natural.
Started writing when I was about 12.


PV: Did you always feel drawn to hip hop music, or were you always
secretly listening to rock n roll before/after shows?

PD:

Well, growing up one of the first albums I got was Midnight Marauders by A Tribe Called Quest. So early on hip-hop sparked an interest. And from that album I started delving into other genres. The first time I heard Sgt. Pepper, it was like a spiritual event for me.


PV: Describe the difference in the audiences between U.S. and Europe crowds.

PD:

It varies. Playing shows in LA is great because all of my people come out. It's great. However; there are so many places that are great (Phoenix, Seattle, Chicago, Orlando, Atlanta, Portland, Denver, San Francisco, Vancouver BC). But, you can't beat a packed club of 400 people in Paris either.


PV: What music has been frequenting your iPod as of late?

PD:

Back to the Egg - Paul McCartney & Wings,
The Renaissance - Q-Tip,
Little Criminals - Randy Newman,
808's and Heartbreaks - Kanye West
Mind Games - John Lennon,
Smile - Brian Wilson.



PV: What bands/artists would you be happy to see sent into space and
never returned?

PD:

Wow, that's a little drastic...I don't really know..I wish success to everyone, you know, peace & love, peace & love.


PV: What is the funniest story you can think of from when you have been on tour?

PD:

That's a good one. I was on tour with Pigeon John and we were playing some spot in Colorado Springs and a band mate of ours had recently got his ear pierced but the upper part, you know what I'm talking about? So...he just got it pierced and it was all red and weird looking and in one of the songs John's schtick is to turn around and pretend to slap him..well, at this show he landed palm and slapped the earring right out of his ear. I looked over and I lost it.


PV: What is something that is most commonly MISUNDERSTOOD about you?

PD:

I don't know, that's a good one.


PV: I know your dad has had some health scares lately, how is he doing now?

PD:

He's doing good thanks for asking.


PV: Please give him our best from the POPVIEWS family!

PD:

Will do.


PV: How is the L.A. music scene compared to other places you've
lived/played music?

PD:

It's an interesting thing. There's a lot of people trying to get heard.
I would say at times it thrives. I enjoy it. I've lived here a very long time so it's become a part of me. I would say there's definitely more of an opportunity in a place like LA or NY over a place like Omaha (no offense to any Nebraskans).


PV: Do you think there will be record labels in 5 year's time?

PD:

I do. They're changing of course but I think they're trying to figure it out.


PV: It's 3am, you're on the road, what is Pigeon John doing?

PD:

Eating a burrito and listening to Bob Dylan.


PV: What are the top 5 things you are truly passionate about?

PD:

In no particular order, peace, love, life, music, family.


PV: Are you as psyched about the new President Elect as I am?

PD:

I am. My political views have really evolved the past few years as I became more knowledgeable of issues. That drove it home for me this election.


PV: If you met Paul McCartney, what would you guys talk about?

PD:

Probably songwriting.


PV: What could the modern music listening community do to make the
BIGGER scenes better?

PD:

Artist support and in anyway you can think.


PV: Bill Shakespeare, Any good?

PD:

He's okay.


PV: Do you believe in ghosts?

PD:

Sometimes although I believe in magic more so.


PV: What is your cocktail of choice?

PD:

I'm pretty old school, a nice Jack & Diet Coke is my favorite.


PV: Who are your top musical influences?

PD:

Paul McCartney,
Queen,
Stevie Wonder,
The Police,
John Lennon,
and Steely Dan.


PV: You're about to release your new EP entitled "The 9th Street
Sessions", tell us how you think this one is different from "Who is
Peter Daily?"

PD:
Well, this one was written over a 8 month span. I started jotting down ideas right after "Who Is.." and cut one song with my cousin in LA, waited a while and cut a couple more over in Santa Monica and then a month after that I was in Dallas and ended up cutting the rest there.


PV: What are your expectations for this new EP?

PD:

I expect people to bloody buy it! Ha, no, I mean if people want to buy it great! By all means, please do...The songs on this EP are very close to me. They're personal. It was great to get it off my chest and if people can listen to it and relate with me, great.


PV: Any plans to tour in support of 9th Street?

PD:

That's a possibility. We'll see.


PV: The Office UK vs. The Office US, what d'ya reckon?

PD:

The British version.


PV: What are the top 10 cds (albums or tapes) which are a MUST for a
good collection (modern OR classic)?

PD:


Beatles - Abbey Road,
Queen - A Night at the Opera,
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions,
Radiohead - OK Computer,
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
Paul McCartney - Ram,
Jeff Buckley - Grace,
Police - Outlandos D'amour
Beach Boys - Friends & 20/20,

and my last one..drum roll please,

Michael Jackson - Thriller.


PV: I've seen how the women flock to you after you play shows, ever
have trouble transporting all of them to the hotel?

PD:

No, not really.


PV: What advice, if any, would you give to young fans who want to be a
professional musician?

PD:

Focus on songwriting right first. Great songs last forever. Really hone your craft and if you have great songs all the rest will come.


PV: When PETER DAILY is no more, what would you like your legacy to be?

PD:

I'd like to be known as someone who stood for peace, love, equality - - someone who cared about not only music but people and the world.

PV: Any famous last words?

PD:

"Drink to me, drink to my health"


PV: Thanks so much for being here, Peter. We'll stay tuned to
myspace.com/whoispeterdaily for all future releases/concerts!

PD:

Cheers my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment